Sunday 3 July 2011

Heiligdomsvaart


When I first set foot in Maastricht in the summer of 2004, all excited to be starting my third year of university, as an exchange student in another country, I remember hearing people talking about this huge religious celebration which we had unfortunately just missed by days. It seemed to be quite a big deal, but it only took place every 7 years, so I quickly forgot about it thinking I'd never witness it anyway. I wonder what I would have said back then if anyone would have told me 'oh, don't worry, you'll still be here in seven years, you'll get to see it then!'.

The adventure that was supposed to be just a year abroad during my studies actually changed my life. I found love, wonderful friends and a new home. 7 years on and we are still as happy as we were when we first got here. Things have changed, of course, but you couldn't expect anything different in so many years.

And this afternoon, right after the end of the procession, we caught ourselves wondering if we'd still be here in 7 years' time... and if so, what our life will look like then.
I'm curious!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...